07 January 2014

Coming off a Downton High

The past few weeks have felt like a whirlwind. Winter break from teaching has been flying by! I have been filling the time with sewing, cooking, and Downton Abbey! Zomg. Sundays are going to rock for a while!

Anywho, here is a quick recap of what I have been up to! First off we have coconut curry that was super tasty (recipe over here).
Coconut curry

Then come the Swedish meatballs (recipe), homemade egg noodles (recipe), and lingonberry jam (from IKEA).
Untitled

The imperial red IPA mentioned previously has finished fermenting and now all we are waiting on is for it to finish carbonating. I can't wait to taste the final product! So far it tastes like it might be my favorite beer we have ever made! Buuut, we also brewed some barleywine that is fermenting [like a beast!] at the moment. Check out all this hop sediment in the bottom of the red!
Untitled

After Christmas, my boyfriend spent a day helping his BFF build a work bench so I decided to go on a fabric buying road trip! I visited Gone Quiltin' in Bandera, One Quilt Place in Fredericksburg, and Creations in Kerrville (all in Texas). They were all wonderful shops, but Creations felt like heaven!!! I spent over two hours there!!! I had not yet seen the incredible Frida Kahlo line and absolutely fell in love with it. I might have brought too much back with me, but it will get used.
Untitled

I have also been working on some monochromatic EPP 8 point star blocks for a secret project.
Untitled

I also made a chess pie following my great Aunt Cuba's recipe. This pie tastes like happiness and sunshine.
Untitled

I have even made some progress on the houndstooth "quilt." I am using the " " because this is destined to upholster the cushion on my cedar chest. I am not too sure how to make the cover fit the cushion exactly but still be roomy enough to take off for washing. It will come to me!
Untitled

Last night the boyfriend and I made some stir fry with lots of added veggies (recipe) and some insanely delicious coconut rice (recipe). This made for amazing leftovers today.
Untitled

I also worked on a sample pattern for The Quilt Cottage. The owner and I are having a competition of sorts; We each picked the fabric for one version of the same quilt and are seeing which one came out best. I picked the fabric for this one because I do not believe Valentines Day should be confined to reds and pinks. If my BFF's new baby turns out to be a girl, I'm quilting this up for her.
Untitled

Lynda picked the fabric for this one. I finished them both up today and will drop them off tomorrow. They both have their charm.
Untitled

Lastly, I also finished a trivet for my boyfriend's BFF's wife. The fox is appliqued onto a dark tea-dyed muslin that makes me think of leather. The flying geese did not come out how I envisioned them, but that's okay; either she will like it, or she won't! :)
Untitled

7 comments:

  1. Lots of cooking and creativity going on here! Love how many projects are being worked on and then gifted away! You little fox really caught my eye! Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the EPP stars, they are striking. You are further along than me with the houndstooth, I better get cracking :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fox appliqué and OH ... those meatballs make me miss IKEA so ...there are none in New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You've got some very great quilts happening! The houndstooth is so adorable and reminds me of my teen years (1970's). The EPP stars are very cool. Love the black and grey. I checked out your egg noodle recipe to see if it was like mine. I've been making homemades for about 35 years. Same ingredients. I've never used a pasta machine though. I did pick up hints on things to do with mine next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh a feast for the eyes & making my mouth water too! You have lots of wonderful projects going on. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with that lovely Frida Kahlo. Great job!

    http://www.busyneedle.ch

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's houndtooth is really cute, and I like the fox.

    ReplyDelete