10 September 2013

One Down, Fourteen to Go!

I am officially 1/15th through with teaching for the semester. Woohoo! So far my classes are going well. I only have a few students that seem to be problematic, but that will get sorted out. Sadly teaching full time and moving means that I haven't been able to do much sewing. But I have done a little!

My boyfriend and I decided to be pro-active and put shelf liner in every single drawer and in every single cabinet (even in bathrooms!) at the new house. This left me with a couple of perfectly sized scraps that I decided to make trivets out of. My thinking is that I will piece the front, add a few layers of Insul-Bright, and then add shelf liner instead of backing so that it will be heat resistant and grippy! Win win! In case you don't know what I'm talking about, it is this stuff:
Untitled

Here is the first front I came up with:
Untitled

That first one coordinates with the quilt I made for my boyfriend a while back.

I also started making my first 241 Tote Bag. I am thinking about using this pattern, only enlarged slightly, for the Secret Tote Bag Swap. Here is my progress:
Untitled

I also basted a few more half-hexies!
Untitled

I also made some progress on a sample quilt I am working on for my LQS.
Untitled

I also started working on the re-upholstery job I'm doing on my vintage cedar chest. I picked the pattern (piecing the Houndstooth pattern!), bought the fabric, bought and cut the foam, and then went on a mission for the ruler I need. No one in town has the correct ruler so I ordered it from Amazon. It took forever and arrived after it was supposed to and was SNAPPED IN HALF. Lame. Amazon says it isn't their fault, so I can return it for some of my money back since it isn't being returned in like-new condition. Ugggh. Now after waiting two weeks for this stinking ruler, I'm back to waiting. Hopefully Amazon will do the right thing and give me all my money back. Hopefully I can find a quilt shop somewhere in a 3 hour radius (This is Texas so that includes San Antonio, Austin, & Houston) who has one and I can go buy it in a few weekends. But at least I cut the foam, riiiight?
Untitled

Okay, so I really haven't done too much modern stuff. Maybe I'm in a funk. Oh well! What have you been working on?

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, that lush 241 tote is SO pretty!! I think your swap partner would likely love to have an enlarged version. :)
    You're really keeping busy! I just feel more and more behind every day. I need to keep telling myself, no more deadline sewing (she says while accepting more deadlines..).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice projects. I like the tote the most as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are busy!!! I love everything; especially your BF's quilt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That bird fabric on your tote is just beautiful! Any chance of sharing the details?...
    LPC

    ReplyDelete