01 May 2014

Deviled Eggs Recipe

I love deviled eggs partly because they are delicious and partly because they are so simple to make. My boyfriend didn't know they were easy to make and would always get really excited when we were at an event that had them. Then I told him they were easy to make and now we have made them twice in one week.

I used to make my deviled eggs with zesty sauce from Burger King, but that actually requires eating fast food, so I had to revamp my recipe which took years to perfect, so I decided to share it. This is what I came up with (recipe is after the pictures).

First off, you need eggs. This is for 12 deviled eggs (or 6 whole eggs). I like to set my eggs aside for at least a week before I boil them because this helps them to be a little easier to peel.

For spices, I used cayenne, dill, paprika, ground mustard, salt, and pepper.

As my wet ingredients I used mayo, horseradish (this is what the zesty sauce from BK added), and pickle juice.

Mix all that goodness up! Mmm, it already looks tasty.

Make sure you don't forget to actually boil your eggs. I put baking soda in the water to help the eggs peel. That black blob is my color-changing boiled egg timer. 

Once the eggs are hard boiled, I put them immediately in a water bath. Supposedly this also helps to assist in peeling, but mostly it just speeds up the process of getting deviled eggs in my tummy.

Then you peel the eggs and slice those suckers in half! Thanks for the help, boyfriend.

Now we need to scoop the yolks into the saucy mixture. Set the whites aside because we will use them later.

Then you mix that all up! I'm okay with it being a little lumpy, but if you aren't, just keep mixing until you are satisfied.

Once you have it mixed to your liking, divide it up into the leftover egg whites.

Now you sprinkle with a little paprika to garnish and then try your hardest to not immediately eat all the eggs. Or you can totally eat all the eggs. That's what being an adult is all about, right? If you are planning on storing the eggs in the fridge, you might want to get an egg tray that seals. We wrapped this one in foil and egg got smeared all over the foil. Once we find a sealing one, this will be designated as the party egg tray, not the egg storage tray.

Deviled Eggs
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 6 eggs
  • water to cover eggs
  • 1/4 cup mayonaise
  • 1.5 teaspoon horseradish (can omit if you don't like it)
  • 1 tablespoon pickle juice
  • scant 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika + more for garnish
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1 teaspoon dill
  • scant 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (can omit/reduce/increase based on your taste)
Mix baking soda in water. Hard boil eggs.
Cut eggs in half and scoop yolks into bowl. Set whites aside for later.
Combine all remaining ingredients into bowl with egg yolks.
Scoop into egg whites and garnish with paprika. 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment