I am trying to decide what block to make so I have been trying some out. Trying out new quilt blocks is difficult during home construction because I really don't have access to my iron/ironing board. Normally, that wouldn't be an issue until the end of the blocks but other people are going to see the backs of these hypothetical blocks, and that terrifies me.
So I cut out tons of bits and actually did some piecing, trying to make things look pretty. Then I just started getting frazzled with so many pieces for so many things. I could go no further on any of them because of the lack of iron. Then the contractor who is doing the floors called and said he can't start for at least another week.
Finally, in desperation, I dug out the iron and ironed on the carpet. Rationalization? Carpet is being replaced in the next week or two.
I have made little bits of progress on a few possibly sponge-worthy blocks:
There is also this fun little one that is done. I love that basil fabric. Not as much as I love lettuce fabric, though. But still, this block was pretty dang simple to throw together. Somehow, in its simplicity, the template I followed didn't work for me! Notice the grey line in the top right corner. Notice how it doesn't go all the way to the edge of the block. Notice my eye twitch. Ah, well, this can be fixed.
I have also been working on trying to turn a Japanese X Block into a perfectly sized finished 12" block. The original tutorial (http://badskirt.blogspot.com/2011/04/japanese-x-and-scrappy-quilt-tutorial.html) is for a 7.5" block and that does me no good for bees. Thanks to the insanity on the previous picture, I came up with this gem:
So excited to see if posting my progress will motivate me. Thanks to http://freshlypieced.blogspot.com/ for giving me the idea to do a WIP blog entry!