I immediately knew that the cover had to be changed. Being a quilter, I had this secret yearning to piece and quilt the cover. The original was just stapled to a piece of particleboard with a thin layer of fluff between them. This cedar chest was going to double as living room seating, so it needed a little more cushion. I went with 3" furniture foam.
Apparently I'm super picky because the original knobs on the chest were deemed too lame to live (not to mention filthy!) and had to go. See?
Last summer while in Ireland with my boyfriend and cousin, we found a store called Knobs and Knockers that sold... Knobs and knockers! I was able to find a tremendously better option! Aren't they gorgeous?? Yes, my main souvenir from the trip was a bag of drawer pulls.
Now I should stop blabbing and get to the good stuff. Here is a view of the FMQ on the cushion. The cushion itself is held onto the chest with industrial strength velcro.
The cover was made out of one solid piece that had a seam up the middle of the back [well most of it. I had to leave some unstitched to turn it right-side out], then the sides were sewn up and the corners were boxed to 3" to fit the foam. Then the foam was stuffed back in and the gap in the bottom that was left unstitched for turning was closed with skinny velcro.
And here are some overall shots of the whole thing!
Some of the detail on the back edge gets lost behind the foam, but having a comfortable place to sit was vastly more important to me.
Now I'm aware that some furniture restoration experts would say I messed up by not refinishing the surface, but I don't care. I took something practical but [in my humble opinion] hideous and gave it new life! Plus, now it is pretty and way more comfortable to sit on!
Hard to believe I finished this in time for February's Lovely Year of Finishes. Woot! Here are the milestone links in the process of finishing this beauty!
"Quilt" front done (LYOF link-up)